Hey fellow occupants! Welcome to the Vigil and the City Hall Hotel
This is both a sanctuary and a political action. Please know the difference between this and the occasional party. We have a single message here- End the Ban. Sleep is a Human Right. There are a lot of participants (not just the ones seen at any given time) and we have a general evolving consensus. Your actions are not a matter of your freedom or your rights unless you are not participating with us and don’t care about this action or anyone doing it. We don’t need rules to be good to one another. We are empowered to speak up, however, if a person or persons are weakening our action or creating extra work for others- such as:
· Being messy while here or leaving garbage behind.
· Breaking City Hall’s rules the group is cool with that we’ve negotiated.
· Breaking laws not being challenged by this demonstration specifically.
· Hassling the public, reporters, cops, and especially security when it gives us bad PR or causes others grief later, or sours good relationships and support you very well may not be aware of.
· Disturbing people who came here for the very right we’re claiming- the right to a night’s sleep!
· Storing personal belongings under the table (not allowed) or in the box (full). We have to remove them and then they aren’t safe so keep them.
· Mixing messages by leaving behind your signs from other protests. What you do at City Hall is your business but it would be nice if you’d consider the public gets confused.
· Conflict and strife. If it’s heated, there’s a whole city to do it in- even across the street.
· Begging for yourself. Please check with the group before soliciting even for the vigil- it’s a group judgment call and a balance between need & appearance.
· Being visibly altered. One drunk apple spoils the bunch in the public eye. Take a holiday from here.
Please also note, if we save your belongings from Clean & Safe- thanks for the donations or not blaming others because your things were lost. We have some repeat offenders.
Also, we truly appreciate food donations but food becomes questionable the moment it is unattended. Please leave it with a person. We are not allowed to store it at the table except coffee, tea, cocoa etc. and are ultimately responsible for what is left there. No food is allowed on the property.
Finally, this is a hard thing to do- to hold this space and sleep on concrete sometimes in rain & cold. If you don’t have to be here every day and can find better shelter please do so sometimes! We lose beloved people to burnout all the time. Besides, we’re here for quality of life and basic human needs- that includes you! Take care of yourself. You matter. You are loved. Thank you.